Moments

16 July 2006

Calling All Nations

I have just returned from a trip to Berlin with three friends of mine - Ulrike (Germany), Iosif (Romania) and Moses (Kenya). The purpose of our trip was more of a "pilgrimage" (and it would have to be to sit in a car with no air conditioning in the middle of the German summer for eight hours each way!). It was not for the huge techno music festival, the "Love Parade" but for a Christian music concert called "Calling All Nations".

On our way to Berlin we were pulled over in a police search simply for the fact that we were four people in the car under 30. While the police searched the car and all our bags for possible drugs we might be bringing to the Love Parade, we were all in hysterics when all they pulled out were our bibles!

Our visit, although short, took in a little sightseeing as it was Moses' first time in Berlin and we had a expert guided tour from Ulrike who had lived there for three months last year. Moses kept us entertained non-stop with performances in the middle of the museum, his first experience with chopsticks, not to mention his eating habits!


The concert itself was astounding. Although the Berlin Olympic Stadium was not full to its 60,000+ capacity, it was over half full with people from all over the world who had come together to worship. It is quite a sight for sore eyes and a sweet sound to hear.



We had worship leaders from all over the world. Some I knew before and some I didn't. I have discovered a new love for worship music in German (like Albert Frey and Lothar Kosse) and was not disapointed by some of my favourites such as Matt Redman, Reuben Morgen and Delirious.

There have been several times in my life, when I hate to say it, sometimes I can be embarassed to be a Christian. Times when I am with old friends who knew me before I became a Christian or times when I am with colleagues or new friends who don't know Christ. I know this is a personal weakness but this concert and the whole trip in general was really a reminder that I have nothing to be ashamed of, in fact I have every reason in the world (and beyond) to celebrate and to shout it out!

One of the highlights has to be sitting on the train after the concert with 50 other young Christians singing "This Little Light of Mine" to all the people heading to the Love Parade. I felt like a true "Jesus Freak" in every sense and I loved every minute of it!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home