Rome - The Hard Way
Following my adventures in Torino, I was lucky enough to have five days off in the Italian capital. I was invited and hosted by a very good friend of mine, Ale, who I met by chance a few years ago while he was visiting Cologne. Ale took it upon himself to show me the 'real' Rome. And what better way to experience the city than on the back of a scooter. Although it was a little scary at times and also often a little wet (Ale said with confidence on my first day "It never rains in Rome"), we had a great time and I am sure I had the best tour guide ever. Not only did he show me how wonderful the city is, he also treated me to some of the best food in Rome. It probably wasn't the best preparation for the Marathon that was actually the reason for the trip!
Ale and his family welcomed me into their home and showed me true Italian hospitality. Despite the fact that only he and his mother could speak English, the family was so welcoming. Just when I was feeling nice and relaxed, came Sunday and the day of the Marathon. While I very excited I was also very under prepared, following three weeks in Torino. However we had a beautiful day and the course took us throughout the city. I will never forget turning a corner and finding myself running straight towards St. Peters. The course also took us past the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, the Roman Forum and finishing right in front of the Colleseum.
Although I was aiming to finish in under four hours, I struggled and ended up crossing the line in 4:15. Definitely some work to do before the next one! However, I really enjoyed the race and my time in Rome. If anyone is interested in a guided tour, I can highly recommend "Ale's Tours"!
Ale and his family welcomed me into their home and showed me true Italian hospitality. Despite the fact that only he and his mother could speak English, the family was so welcoming. Just when I was feeling nice and relaxed, came Sunday and the day of the Marathon. While I very excited I was also very under prepared, following three weeks in Torino. However we had a beautiful day and the course took us throughout the city. I will never forget turning a corner and finding myself running straight towards St. Peters. The course also took us past the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, the Roman Forum and finishing right in front of the Colleseum.
Although I was aiming to finish in under four hours, I struggled and ended up crossing the line in 4:15. Definitely some work to do before the next one! However, I really enjoyed the race and my time in Rome. If anyone is interested in a guided tour, I can highly recommend "Ale's Tours"!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home