Torino Update 2
Well I have actually been back in Bonn for over a week now, so I thought I should share some more thoughts on what has been one of the most amazing times of my life. I feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to go to an event like the Paralympic Games and not just to witness it, but to be a part of it, to be in the middle of it and to be so proud of it.
My job might seem like just a small insignificant part of the Paralympic Movement as a whole sometimes, but then on occasions like these you are reminded that with many small insignificant parts, you get one incredible 'whole'! Since I was 16 years old, I have wanted to work at the Olympic Games. There I was, standing in the stadium, with a camera in my hands (thanks to my friend and the most amazing photographer, Lieven) at the final of the Ice Sledge Hockey and I thought to myself "I would take this over the Olympics any day".
I am often faced with a small dilemma in my working life about what makes the Paralympics so special. Many people in the movement, including a lot of the athletes, say the value of the Paralympics is the ability of the athletes, not the disability. These Games clearly demonstrated just how elite the athletes are. In many events, gold and silver was simply a matter of o.2 of a second! But for me, it was not only what these athletes had achieved, but what they had overcome to get there. Every single athlete at the Paralympics has an incredible story to tell, whether they were born with their disability or became disabled later in life. And what they achieve is unbelievable. I wish I could tell you each of their stories!
I had the pleasure of meeting an athlete on Friday, called Henry. Henry runs the marathon in 2hrs 30 minutes (my best time so far is 3:47) and Henry is 95% blind. Not only does he run amazing times, but he donates al the money he earns (prize money and sponsorship) to people in his home country of Kenya, to help they receive eye operations, to help them find work, he runs an orphanage, a factory where people with a disability can find work and even acts as a councilor to others who have recently become blind (www.henry4gold.com). Henry represents all the athletes that have inspired me to get off my butt and start running. If they can achieve so much and are considered 'disabled', what does that make me?
Just for something to think about. The Managing Director of the Canadian Paralympic Committee was asked recently who he expects to be the big stars at the Vancouver 2010 Paralympics. He replied, "Many of them aren't even disabled yet"...
My job might seem like just a small insignificant part of the Paralympic Movement as a whole sometimes, but then on occasions like these you are reminded that with many small insignificant parts, you get one incredible 'whole'! Since I was 16 years old, I have wanted to work at the Olympic Games. There I was, standing in the stadium, with a camera in my hands (thanks to my friend and the most amazing photographer, Lieven) at the final of the Ice Sledge Hockey and I thought to myself "I would take this over the Olympics any day".
I am often faced with a small dilemma in my working life about what makes the Paralympics so special. Many people in the movement, including a lot of the athletes, say the value of the Paralympics is the ability of the athletes, not the disability. These Games clearly demonstrated just how elite the athletes are. In many events, gold and silver was simply a matter of o.2 of a second! But for me, it was not only what these athletes had achieved, but what they had overcome to get there. Every single athlete at the Paralympics has an incredible story to tell, whether they were born with their disability or became disabled later in life. And what they achieve is unbelievable. I wish I could tell you each of their stories!
I had the pleasure of meeting an athlete on Friday, called Henry. Henry runs the marathon in 2hrs 30 minutes (my best time so far is 3:47) and Henry is 95% blind. Not only does he run amazing times, but he donates al the money he earns (prize money and sponsorship) to people in his home country of Kenya, to help they receive eye operations, to help them find work, he runs an orphanage, a factory where people with a disability can find work and even acts as a councilor to others who have recently become blind (www.henry4gold.com). Henry represents all the athletes that have inspired me to get off my butt and start running. If they can achieve so much and are considered 'disabled', what does that make me?
Just for something to think about. The Managing Director of the Canadian Paralympic Committee was asked recently who he expects to be the big stars at the Vancouver 2010 Paralympics. He replied, "Many of them aren't even disabled yet"...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home