Moments

03 March 2006

Cologne Carnival

Last weekend was my favourite time of year here in Bonn/Köln (yes, even more than Christmas!). The whole region goes crazy. People from age 0 to 100 dress up in silly costumes and party in the streets, in the bars, in th train, just about everywhere!. This was my thrid carnival here and it just gets better every year. This year I went as an American Cheerleader thanks to my friend Erin, whose Mum sent 80's-style uniforms over for us.

The first day, we had a half day in my office and with some beer and pizza, welcomed in carnival with my colleagues. We then went on to a bar in the old town where my colleagues proceeded to show me how to have a good time 'German Style'. I have realized now that the whole experience is much more fun when you understand the lyrics of the songs they are singing!

The second night was the 'Medizinball' as huge costume party in the centre of Köln. With about 3,000+ people, this was the place to be. All the best known local bands were playing and I celebrated along with Mario, Erin (my fellow cheerleader) and some good friends from Köln. As I am getting old, I had a bit of a rest on Saturday and Sunday but did make it down to the street parade on Monday.

The story is that in olden times, towards the end of winter, people put on masks and disguises and made a lot of noise to chase away the evil spirits. Since early Christianity, people use the last occasion before meagre Lent to party and to eat to their hearts' content. Carnival was the last opportunity to party and to enjoy life before the strict rules of Christian Lent called the people to repent and to contemplate.

Alaaf!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home