Torino Update 1
Quiet night in the Main Press Centre so I thought I'd send a quick update. It has been absolutely amazing here. I got to go and watch the Alpine Skiing yesterday, seeing the athletes come down the hill at +100km/h on one leg is absolutely incredible!! The crowds are amazing - so many kids all cheering for athletes from every country. Even Wheelchair curling is sold out!!
Running in the Torch Relay was definitely a highlight. The torch was actually pretty heavy but there were so many people lining the streets I didn’t notice. All the school kids were out there shouting "Aster" which is the mascot of the Games. I passed the torch on to a member of our Governing Board to then passed it to the President of the Organizing Committee right outside the Stadium. He was the last runner, so you can imagine all the press that were following us. All the runners and police running with me kept telling me to slow down!
The Opening Ceremony to was amazing. Just as spectacular as the Olympic ceremony but with much more thought. They symbolically smashed a wall using a wheelchair as a crane and then had the most lovely dancers - the woman had no arms but to see her dance, she was so incredibly graceful and full of energy. Of course the fireworks were fantastic but the best bit was the little blind girl who lit the Paralympic Cauldron.
If you are interested I am writing updates on the website and the majority of the writing is mine at the moment. As well as the press releases, I am also writing a current affairs article on the front page and the daily Torino 2006 News (the bottom box in the lower left hand corner) which features things like athlete interviews etc. Its great meeting all the athletes and have met some amazing people from all over the world.
Not working too hard. Long hours but not too busy as most of the media are out at the events during the day. We are having some lovely meals as there are a number of special hospitality restaurants set up all over Sestriere. Lots of local food from around the region! Anyway, am going to try to get an early night tonight, was out with some colleagues last night and I have to keep reminding myself I still have to run the marathon in 12 days! Think I have used the word 'amazing' too many times in this post, but it really is! www.paralympic.org or watch it live online www.paralympicsport.tv
Running in the Torch Relay was definitely a highlight. The torch was actually pretty heavy but there were so many people lining the streets I didn’t notice. All the school kids were out there shouting "Aster" which is the mascot of the Games. I passed the torch on to a member of our Governing Board to then passed it to the President of the Organizing Committee right outside the Stadium. He was the last runner, so you can imagine all the press that were following us. All the runners and police running with me kept telling me to slow down!
The Opening Ceremony to was amazing. Just as spectacular as the Olympic ceremony but with much more thought. They symbolically smashed a wall using a wheelchair as a crane and then had the most lovely dancers - the woman had no arms but to see her dance, she was so incredibly graceful and full of energy. Of course the fireworks were fantastic but the best bit was the little blind girl who lit the Paralympic Cauldron.
If you are interested I am writing updates on the website and the majority of the writing is mine at the moment. As well as the press releases, I am also writing a current affairs article on the front page and the daily Torino 2006 News (the bottom box in the lower left hand corner) which features things like athlete interviews etc. Its great meeting all the athletes and have met some amazing people from all over the world.
Not working too hard. Long hours but not too busy as most of the media are out at the events during the day. We are having some lovely meals as there are a number of special hospitality restaurants set up all over Sestriere. Lots of local food from around the region! Anyway, am going to try to get an early night tonight, was out with some colleagues last night and I have to keep reminding myself I still have to run the marathon in 12 days! Think I have used the word 'amazing' too many times in this post, but it really is! www.paralympic.org or watch it live online www.paralympicsport.tv


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home